Improved Basic Team Mode - "Follow Along" Participants

Thanks for all of your great responses!

We’ve been using the settings that @jemma recommended for a few months now, and a lot of the problems that we were having previously have been resolved. But of course, with all changes, come new issues.

Our trivia MC @gregstudley mentioned some of these issues in this recent post. I think that this is one of the requests that @RossN mentioned above.

It sounds like there are changes and new features in the works which may help to improve our use-case. But I figure it’s worth listing the issues (including those which @gregstudley reported) that we’re still experiencing in the hopes that they may be addressed in future releases:

1. We’d really like to be able to have users join teams without having to enter email addresses or phone numbers. Some of our players are concerned about the privacy implications of providing emails. Using fake email addresses is an option, but it’d be nice to just use a case-insensitive team name.
  2. We’ve seen issues with linking players to teams if the case of the email addresses are different. This seems like bug that would be pretty straightforward to address by doing a case-insensitive comparison.
  3. We’ve seen an infrequent issue where scores on individual questions can be double-counted. For example, our team may gain 50 points on a question worth 25 points. My theory is that there’s a race condition where multiple players submitting the correct answer at the same time could be counted as correct, resulting in an award of twice the maximum amount of points for the question.
  4. We’ve started using point wagering recently, and have seen an infrequent issue where the maximum amount of points which the “All” button sets is substantially less than the team’s total points. For example, my team had 809 points, but the “All” button populated the wager form with 81 points. Entering 999 manually into the form resulted in the wagering amount getting set correctly to 809.
  5. It’s difficult to rectify issues and merge points when two players have accidentally create two teams instead of joining the same team. My belief is that instead of making the fix-up process easier, it’d be best to do whatever possible to make it near-impossible for players to wind up in this situation.

We really like having the ability for all players on a team to be able to answer questions on their own device, rather than just following along as the team leader enters answers. So the proposal that @RossN posted above isn’t ideal for us. The second proposal is more or less in line with what would be ideal for us. Another option would be that a team leader could create the team, and then send out invite links to all of the other players. That could resolve the potential security issues, and be a pretty intuitive UI for players.

Please let me know if you need any more information on any of these issues, or whether it’d be best for me to report each separately. I figured it would be best to report them all here, as this thread provides the context of our use-case.

2 Likes